Jim Wescoe litigates motor truck cargo, inland marine and trucking casualty matters.
He represents motor carriers, brokers, freight forwarders, transportation intermediaries and third-party logistics providers and their insurers. His matters include trucking accidents, cargo loss and damage and freight charge and collection. Jim also handles contract matters.
James A. Wescoe
Partner, Board of Directors, Chair, Commercial Transportation
Obtained a dismissal of a lawsuit against a transportation broker in New Jersey state court where the shipper filed suit for cargo damages;
Defended a large motor carrier in a $2.9 million cargo claim filed by a foreign manufacturer in San Diego, California.
Resolved a rear-end collision case involving the death of the claimant in the U.S. District Court in Massachusetts.
- 03.15.16Chair, Speaker, TIDA Cargo Claims Seminar, Tempe, Arizona
- 03.10.16Presener, "Trucking Insurance and Trial and Litigation Strategies," TIDA Skill Course
- 01.16.15Presenter, "The Ethics of Social Media in Litigation," TLA, Chicago, IL
- Paper Magic v. J.B. Hunt Transport, Inc. (U.S. Court of Appeals, 3d Circuit, 2005) (transportation)
- Lewis v. Atlas Van Lines (U.S. Supreme Court, 2008) (household goods cargo)
- Daily Transport v. Maverick Transportation, U.S.D.C, Middle District of PA, 2012) (cargo)
- Pelletron v. C.H. Robinson Worldwide, U.S.D.C., E.D.Pa., 2012 (broker liability)
- Foam Fair v. J.K. Hackl Transportation, Inc. (cargo damages)
- Continental v. Quick Enterprises (D.N.J, 2012) (broker liability)
- Siaci St. Honore v. Ironbound Express, et al., S.D.N.Y., 2012 (cargo damages)
- Royal SunAlliance Ins. Co. v. National Consolidation Services, Inc., et al, SNDY, 2011 (limitation of liability)
Professional & Community Involvement
Chair, Cargo Claims Committee, Trucking Industry Defense Association (TIDA)
Truckload Carriers Association
Transportation Lawyers Association (TLA)
Pennsylvania Motor Truck Association
Conference of Freight Counsel
215.972.7900 ext. 4973